The National Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art was founded in Rome in 1883 to represent the art of the new Italian State. In 1913, after being temporarily housed in the Palazzo delle Esposizioni, he moved to the Pavilion of Fine Arts designed by Cesare Bazzani in Valle Giulia for the Universal Exposition of Rome in 1911. In 1933, the headquarters were extended to Bazzani’s design for hosting the growing number of works. In 1941 he became superintendent of the Galleria Palma Bucarelli, which during the Second World War was activated to hide the works and put them in safety. At the reopening, in 1944, Bucarelli updates the Gallery according to modern museographic criteria and enriches his collection, also with the support of figures of critics and historians such as Giulio Carlo Argan and Cesare Brandi. In 1967 work began for a further expansion of the Gallery by the architect Luigi Cosenza, which will only be partially realized. In 1983 the museum closed temporarily for important adaptation and regulation works.
Viale delle Belle Arti, 131. lagallerianazionale.com